Life as a single Mother-Empty nest, Dating, Ex-husband, Best Friends, Full-time Employment, Unemployment, night school...How do these all relate to one another? Come with me:

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving

Although this has been a bit of a rough road the past few months for me, I can’t help but feel thankful for the not so rough parts.
I love the time of year from Thanksgiving through the first of the year. Not as much for the presents or the decorations, parties and glitz, though that is all nice too. I love this time of year for the emotions it inspires in me.
Emotions stem from so many places but this time of year even more so:


  • Gathering with family and friends just to play games or chat or laugh
  • Teaching children to cook a really great dinner or the components of one.
  • Baking warm treats for the neighbors you only wave hello to through the year.
  • Watching someone’s face light up when they open the perfect gift.
  • Sitting by a warm fire
  • Crisp leaves or icy snow under your boots
  • Feeling the icy cool bite of a cold winters night while building a snowman, then stepping inside for a cup of hot liquid or soup
  • Cuddling babies who live far away before they grow between visits
  • Women chatting in the kitchen men cheering on the game in the other room
  • The smell of a turkey or ham ready to come out of the oven
  • Driving through neighborhoods lit up with lights
  • Helping out those less fortunate with food, blankets, coats- or even free babysitting or repair work
  • The smells of the seasons- such as cinnamon, cloves, roasting turkey, sugar cookies, and pine
  • The sounds: bells, children, crowds, chorus’s, laughter


    These are some of my favorite things about this time of year.
    Hope that those of you in the states have a wondrously delicious long weekend. And those of you farther think about your favorite holidays and times of the year.
    Please share your thoughts below- would love to hear.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you.

    and I leave you with this:



    2 comments:

    1. Happy Thanksgiving! I'm a bit of the opposite - I think becasue I have my kids only half time, I retreat during the holidays. I only get them every other Thanksgiving, and every other Xmas. When they are here, it's great! And I delight in many of the same things you do!

      ReplyDelete
    2. DH- However we choose to spend the holidays is the right way to spend them. My ex was many miles away and I had my kids for every holiday. It was great and also trying and expensive at the same time. Thanks for the comment

      ReplyDelete

    Tell me what you think: