Life as a single Mother-Empty nest, Dating, Ex-husband, Best Friends, Full-time Employment, Unemployment, night school...How do these all relate to one another? Come with me:

Friday, September 24, 2010

Senior pictures

My youngest is a senior in high school this year. I can hardly believe that the time has gone by so quickly. Seems like yesterday I was rocking her to sleep. She has always been the cuddly one. She still likes to cuddle once in a while when we are watching a movie. But she is far from a baby.





 

I am still on the job warpath. There are jobs out there for sure. But there are also a lot of unemployed out there. Add to that, the workers looking to move ahead into the higher positions vying for the same openings I am. And then there was the government job which was filled the day before my interview was set for. Rumors must be true, it isn't what you know but who.

So, money is still really tight. Tighter than it has ever been. We have had to cut back in so many ways, we hardly have a life. My pantry and freezer are nearly bare as we have slowly used up what was once stocked up.

And my baby, my senior is very involved with her drama department this year. Theater is her dream. Whether she becomes a player in the productions, or follows her dreams of owning and running a theater, she is headed that way.
But now, it is an expense that is a strain.
From the letter sweater from the drama club, the workshops, the ticket prices of the productions she is in, and the trips out of town for the clubs she is involved in, it all adds up fast.

Money I have so far been able to pull out..

I have worked full time and also attended night school for most of my kids growing years. We managed the money needed for daily living and also the extras. It was never not a strain, but certainly easier than this year.

However the flip side of that is, that although it has been a struggle to pay for the extras, I have been more available for them.

Doesn't it seem that we as parents have the time, or the money? Rarely both.

But I have been lucky enough to afford both so far this school year. Even if by the skin of our teeth.

In two weeks my daughter has the opportunity to participate in the Shakespeare festival here in the state. Students from all across the country come to compete in a mini olympics of Shakespeare's works.

Last year she was able to compete with the tech crew (lighting and sound) and this year she will be acting in an ensemble team.

Because I am not working, we will be able to travel to see her compete.

My son will also be in town, and the competition is just an hour from where my parents now reside. We will all be able to see her perform.

I am so excited and proud of her.

One of the expenses we have had to put off in order to make all this happen, is her senior portrait costs.

So, we pulled out the camera, drove around our beautiful area and shot some of our own. As you can see by the smattering of photos throughout the post, it was not too much of a sacrifice for her mother to act as photographer.

We saved money, had great mother daughter bonding time, enjoyed the wonderful end of the summer weather, and I think the pictures turned out better than the stagnant studio shots.

7 comments:

  1. wow! I can't believe you took them! They are gorgeous..your daughter is gorgeous!! I understand the strain on the budget!! Hoping you find a job SOON!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope this will be of any benefits to some single mom.

    If you have a place to live, but heating and cooling bills are a problem, then Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program might be able to help you. It is a federally funded program, check out their website to see if you qualify. (www.acf.hhs.gov/programs) or If housing rent is a problem for you, then the US Department of Housing and Urban Development has the HUD program that can help you find an affordable home of your own. There is an income limit for those who qualify. (http://portal.hud.gov/portal/page/portal/HUD).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Debbie. It was a lot of fun.
    Wishing us both a windfall of money

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mama - LOVE all the photos you took! They have SO much more meaning behind them and I think you both will be grateful years from now that you ended up doing them yourself.

    I was just thinking of you ... so I'm here on your blog getting caught up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back Monica. I agree...we will cherish this

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your daughter is beautiful, and you did a much better job with photographs then most senior pictures studios. Everyone is struggling out there it is crazy, hopefully you will see a light at the end of the tunnel soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are beautiful pics. But how could they not be with such a beautiful girl?:) I wish you all the luck in the world with your career, and pray you find something very soon. Love ya

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think: