Life as a single Mother-Empty nest, Dating, Ex-husband, Best Friends, Full-time Employment, Unemployment, night school...How do these all relate to one another? Come with me:

Monday, May 9, 2011

If you have never been hated by your child you have never been a parent. ~Bette Davis

Things are so much better around here.
Many close talks with my daughter. Much more understanding on both sides.

She is certainly still digesting all the changes there will be in her life in the coming months. I too am apprehensive.
But I know she will do just fine.

She will graduate high school in a little over a month and her father will be here. She promised he would be out of her life forever if he did not attend. In the years since he moved, he has manged to make it to each of our other kids graduations. It is bittersweet. He SHOULD be there. He SHOULD be proud of them. He SHOULD NOT take any of the credit for them.
But times when he is here, old wounds and feelings emerge. Not with me, those feelings were gone long ago. But no matter his absence, they love him. They miss him. They still have deep rooted needs for him to fill that void.

I on the other hand could not be more proud of my youngest daughter and her latest of so many accomplishments so far in her life.

A few weeks ago, we shared a mom and daughter day. Although this is not a rare occurrence, every one of them is a treasure.
We have recently been recipients of Bountiful Baskets co-op. If you have never heard of it and love fresh produce year round, you really should check it's availability in your area.

In our most recent basket, we received some sweet potatoes. I am not a fan. But my girls love them.

My mother makes them every thanksgiving. She mashes them much like russet potatoes, but with a little molasses and seasoning and then melts marshmallows on top.

Since I don't care for them, I don't know much what to do with them. So, we decided to make some:

Sweet potato Fries


I completely made up the recipe with a little trial and error. But the girls said they were the best they have ever had. Could it be they were just appeasing me?

Sweet Potato Fries.

 Simply cut the potatoes lengthwise into French fry cuts. Ours were approximately 1/4 in


We placed a cup of flour into a shallow bowl and dredged four or five potato sticks in at a time covering fully.

 Drop each stick into 1/2in deep hot oil in a skillet. (When a drop of cool water dropped from your finger sizzles in the oil, it is hot enough). Cook 2-3 min per stick. Turn over for another 2-3 min.
Remove from the oil using tongs or straining spoon. Place on paper towel to drain off fat. While still hot, sprinkle with season salt to taste. Serve with Fry Sauce (Utah readers) or Ketchup.



1 comment:

  1. Kids are such a roller coaster... Glad things are going better.

    Now, as for these treats! These look and sound fantastic. (Guess I put sweet potatoes on the grocery list for next week.)

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think: