Life as a single Mother-Empty nest, Dating, Ex-husband, Best Friends, Full-time Employment, Unemployment, night school...How do these all relate to one another? Come with me:

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose. ~From the television show The Wonder Years

I hope you are all enjoying some downtime on the long weekend here in the United States.

The weather here has been so bi-polar. Overcast today, rainy tomorrow, and in the seventies next week. My poor water logged garden doesn't know what sunshine is. In my neck of the woods few are swayed by this weather as they head to the mountains and the desert sand for some R&R Rough-in' it and recreation)

My daughters have had to work or we might have taken a short road trip to a small town for lunch, or perhaps a drive down by the lake.

Last year I wrote a post about the true meaning of Memorial Day Holiday.

It certainly takes on a new meaning when you know someone in service. So many sacrificing for us every day.  With low pay and a rare day off for fun. So many Law enforcement, Military, Fire fighters, Secret Service, and so many others sacrificing so much for so little.

Three years ago, my three girls and I drove through nine states to pick my oldest and only son from his basic training camp and bring him home. He graduated on his eighteenth birthday. I was proud and nervous for him. He was a man.

He was also bursting with pride. So much pride he hardly wanted to change out of the uniform. On our three day trip home, it is all he wore. Proudly. No matter where we stopped people shook his hand. Strangers thanking him for his service. He was given many offers. Offers from a free lunch to some strangers own personal information and the promise to be there for my son, for anything, with just a phone call. I tried to hide my emotions. My son beamed.

Some people really GET IT. The sacrifice.

I could not be filled with more pride for my son and the man he has become. But as a mother, I cant help but be a little terrified inside too. Since that road trip, my son has served a tour overseas. He has slept in Hussein's palace. He has walked through Iraqi towns,  an M-16 over his shoulder searching faces for those most wanted.... And for now, he is here in the states, safe.

Some are not so lucky.

Please take a moment to reflect on those sacrifices as you lay safe in your bed.

Then I hope you take a moment to visit the resting spots of those who have gone before. Pick up the phone and call someone you have lost touch with who is still here. What a perfect day for reflection.

Thank you for reading.

3 comments:

  1. Some do get it, as you say. And the sacrifice is by entire families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog, really enjoyed reading it. Have bookmarked you and will check back regular. Please feel free to take a look at my blog...Conservatories

    Also I must say you look way too YOUNG to have 3 children

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome Gonzo. And thank you (for the too young comment) I will definitely check out your blog. Please come again

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think: