Life as a single Mother-Empty nest, Dating, Ex-husband, Best Friends, Full-time Employment, Unemployment, night school...How do these all relate to one another? Come with me:

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Coo, coo, ca-choo, Mrs Robinson

After two full weeks fighting a respiratory infection, my lungs finally clear just days ago. And after a really trying week at work and too many communication problems with the boss. The house was beginning to show signs of the stress of the week. In the past couple weeks, my asthma was amplified by both the inversion and my infection. Just walking down the stairs with a basket of laundry would take my breath away.

So this weekend there was much to catch up on. Add to that some neglected deep spring cleaning and I had my work cut out for me. After hours of scrubbing, washing, folding, organizing I was ready for a break.
I settled in to watch a movie. The free movie selections on our cable system is slim pickin's but one title caught my eye. A movie I had wanted to see for a while.


The 1960's movie The Graduate. I was not disappointed. In the opening scenes you see how the two main characters are both looking for an escape. Dustin Hoffman's character a young college graduate unsure of his future and avoiding the life direction his parents want for him. And Anne Bancroft as the older married woman unhappy in a marriage she entered into for all the wrong reasons.

I am a victim of an affair. I would never condone such acts. But the graduate leaves you really feeling for the characters.

I understand this was quite a controversial film in its release. And I understand why. Not just the themes but nudity as well.

I grew up with the sounds of Simon and Garfunkel and sang along with the soundtrack as I watched.

I have seen only one other performance with Anne Bancroft, 1981's Mommie Dearest. I remember how scared I was of that character as I was but the age of twelve or so myself. Amazing talent.
And of course Dustin Hoffman, one of this centuries best character actors was brilliant in The Graduate. and so many other films in the years since.


As I watched the movie, I also learned a few fun trivia bits:
  • The leg shown in the movie posters and media materials was not actually Anne Bancrofts, but the leg of Linda Grey a little known (at the time of filming) model. 
  • Anne Bancroft is the wife of comedian /  producer Mel Brooks
  • Dustin was already set to play a part in Brooks movie the producers Hoffman asked Brooks for his permission to try out for the part. He allowed Hoffman to audition, confident he'd be found unsuitable for role of Mrs. Robinson's lover.
  • Robert Duvall, a college room mate of Hoffman's, has one line in the movie.
  • A neighbor of mine - Robert Redford was turned down for the part of the graduate because Nichols did not believe Redford could persuasively project the underdog qualities necessary to the role. When he told this to Redford, the actor asked Nichols what he meant. "Well, let's put it this way," said Nichols, "Have you ever struck out with a girl?" "What do you mean?" asked Redford. "That's precisely my point," said Nichols.
What a great way to relax watching the incredible abilities of the actors of this film. May of whom I remember from films and television of my youth.

If you have not seen this film, and wish to see a very handsome young Dustin Hoffman, I highly recommend it.

And now, I have more cupboards that need cleaning and floors that need scrubbing.




6 comments:

  1. It's a great movie, a real classic. But just a note, Anne Bancroft did not play Joan Crawford in "Mommie Dearest", that was Faye Dunaway. If you want to see more of Anne's work, have a look at "The Miracle Worker" or "The Pumpkin Eater". Great stuff! Visit my website fannetastic.com for more ideas.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that part about Redford - have you ever struck out with a girl? What do you mean? Exactly!

    Glad to hear your respiratory stuff is better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to do my research better.. haha
    Thank you Lisa. I will definitely check out your site. I have seen the miracle worker and I loved her! doh.

    DH thanks- I do feel better. And ready for my first cruise. I too loved the Redford quote

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a classic film. And Redford in that role? No way. (So.... do you do windows??)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It could be considered a "perfect movie". Ineresting trivia. I didn't know about Robert Duval, however, Richard Dreyfuss has one line too "You want I should get the cops? I'll call the cops."

    Charles Grodin was also originally cast as Ben but was fired even after loosing weight to look younger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LBW- Only when I have to.

    Troop-Doh! I REALLY need to check my information... cant keep it in my mind for more than 2 seconds. I knew it was Dreyfuss and my fingers typed Duval. ugh! Forgive me and stop by again.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think: