Life as a single Mother-Empty nest, Dating, Ex-husband, Best Friends, Full-time Employment, Unemployment, night school...How do these all relate to one another? Come with me:

Friday, May 21, 2010

A favorite appetizer - Thanks mom



My mother was a working girl most of my life. She set a great example for my sister and I as she juggled us, work, housekeeping and getting dinner on the table. Often she would attend pot-luck lunches at the office and I remember many a night she would create these little wonders the night before.


I am sure that most of you have eaten a cream puff at some time in your life, this is a savory version:


If you like savory over sweet... and want rave reviews at your next office party, pot-luck, or dinner party, try this one out!

Shrimp Puffs




First you need to create the puffs for filling. 
(This is the same recipe as you would use for cream puffs and these can be filled with so many fillings, the sky is the limit.)
I will start with puffs and in my next post, the fillings.


This part moves quickly so it is a good idea to read through the first few tasks before beginning.
In a large saucepan, bring 1 c. water, 1/2 c. (1 stick) butter and 1/4 t. salt to a boil. 

















Add 1 c. flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms.
















Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes.









Add 4 eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. 






Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.






Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. 




Bake at 425° for 15 minutes or until golden brown.  Reduce heat to 375° for an additional 15 min.


Remove from oven and immediately split puffs open. Turn oven off and return puffs to warm oven to dry about 20 min. Remove to wire racks.


Then fill:


Tomorrow I will give some great savory filling suggestions. Including my mothers yum-o Shrimp filling.

1 comment:

Tell me what you think: