Life as a single Mother-Empty nest, Dating, Ex-husband, Best Friends, Full-time Employment, Unemployment, night school...How do these all relate to one another? Come with me:

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Homework for the Holidays

"It is a fair, even-handed, noble adjustment of things, that while there is infection in disease and sorrow, there is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good-humour."- A Christmas Carol, Charles Dickens

Rachel is still behind on her school work, we are working on it though. Last night, she was in a tired, agitated mood and felt overwhelmed. In her English class they were supposed to read 'A Christmas Carol' by Charles Dickens. The class had been discussing the story together. Rachel had begun reading it and the old English writing was difficult for her to decipher. She had given up and was no surprise, falling behind. I had offered a few days earlier (when we had a slow Sunday morning)to help her all I could, even read it together.

This was an old custom we used to share, the three kids and I, in the years following the divorce. We would choose a small Christmas story and read it together during the weeks before Christmas. It was a nice custom, all in our comfy sweats or PJ's climbed onto my bed and depending on the size of the book, and they ages of the kids, either take turns reading a page, or a chapter.

Not only did it get us in the spirit, but it was some quality time spent. (when they were younger, it also got them to read more)

So, Last night, Rachel and I got into our comfees and snuggled up in a throw and began the book.

And let me tell you, that was some pretty tough reading, even for me. We finished the entire book in just under three hours. stopping once to heat up some chicken noodle soup and tea to warm us up.

How sweet it was to snuggle up. She is my baby, my youngest. I don't have too many more days like this left. When she was a baby, as I mentioned in my toast to my children, She was not a cuddly baby. But it seems the older she gets, the more she is. I love this!
We finished the book about an hour before our regular bedtime, but she is just getting over a cold, and went to bed early.
I only wish I could be as eloquent with the written word as Dickens.
- Side note: My first name (given at birth, is Shani) I was named after an actress who appeared in a movie based on a Dickens' story- Oliver. too cool! I love serendipity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think: