Life as a single Mother-Empty nest, Dating, Ex-husband, Best Friends, Full-time Employment, Unemployment, night school...How do these all relate to one another? Come with me:

Friday, October 17, 2008

I have some catching up to do-

So-I did as I was had blogged that I wanted to do, and I met my new neighbors.
Wednesday night, as I watched the debates, I needed something to do with my hands. So, I pulled out all the Ingredients and decided to make a treat for my new neighbors and introduce myself. The girls both had to work that night, so I let them take the car, stepped into my favorite pair of comfy sweats, and heated up the oven.



I started out with my bowl of Grannie smith Apples. This recipe takes 5 whole apples. WOW!


Now, Since I don't do a lot of canning, and never make Apple sauce or Apple pie (unless poured from a can) I do not own one of those fancy gadgets that is almost like a Swiss army knife of Apple cuisine. One that peels, cores, chops, dices, splices, and serves it up piping hot for you.....






I had to 'make do' with what I had on hand. One time saver was this handy gadget, I bought when my kids were small in order to cut their apples into child size snack pieces, free of cores and seeds. Perfect! Well almost.











So easy- Slides over the apple, blades press into the apple creating perfect seedless, core less wedges.

Although a bit time consuming, the wedges made




it much easier to peel each one and then I sliced each wedge into maybe, 4 slices each.


If they look a little brown, it is because I forgot to keep them in icy water or sprinkle with lemon juice. But I also didn't think that this step would take me quite as long as it did....



Then I pulled out these absolutely mouth watering blackberries- couldn't find fresh, so using frozen. (This recipe says you can use blueberries, cranberries, blackberries or raspberries. I used my favorite.)




Then I readied the rest of the ingredients. Thought it would be fun to show them all arranged pretty like other food blogs...

Next- Grease the pan well, I used the stick of butter that I will be adding later to the recipe- works out to be exactly the remainder of the stick- or at least in my case:

Until it is well greased on all sides-









Next was to pour the apples, and 2 c. berries into a large bowl and mine clearly, was not big enough!

Look at the dark color of the berries against the white apple flesh. Then 1/4 c. of brown sugar is added, 1/2 teas. of cinnamon, and stir.










The apples become a bright red. Beautiful!





Then pour into your dish.

In a separate smaller bowl, combine: 1/3 c. all purpose flour, 1/8 teas. salt, 1/2 c. brown sugar, and one teas. cinnamon. Stir. then with a pastry blender or two knives, break the butter into the mixture until you have crumbles. Add oatmeal.






Spread over the apple-berry mixture. (sorry this one is blurry) Look at the fall colors!
Bake at 375 deg. for 40-45 min.



Serve hot with Ice Cream!!!




I sprinkled a little more cinnamon and some granulated sugar on top of mine before baking ....
De-lish!


I had hoped to make 3 recipes, two for different neighbors, and one for us. But after all the peeling and coring, changed my mind and made one. (still took the entire debate!)

So- Then while it was still piping hot, I covered it with foil, wrapped it in a hand towel, and prepared to deliver it to the new neighbors and hoped that they would be home....

And, as anyone who knows me can attest.... i am Murphy- you know the guy who cannot do anything with out SOMETHING going wrong? Well, so far I had made it through the baking process without such as a hitch.

Now, mind you, I have 2 very energetic dogs--- big dogs. They love to go outside. They used to bolt out the door whenever it was opened but we have been working with them and they are much better at staying in place. And they were- staying right where they were. I, with the dish poised in my hands, began to open the door but fearful that the dogs might bolt, kept one eye on them. When I held the dessert with only one hand in order to open the door, the dish tipped a little from the weight. Splashing some of the juice from out of the dish onto the towel and my right hand... Steaming HOT juice. The fear of the dogs smelling the juice, gave me the strength to jump out the door and close it.. the dessert was still OK. Just a teaspoon shy of juice. So I trudged on next door. They were sweet and although I was speaking 100 miles per hour out of nerves, I was glad I went. When I got back home, I ran my now bright red finger under water... no permanent damage but it did sting in my hot shower that night. Nothing goes smoothly- keep reading my blog- you'll see. That is OK. I know it is my fate and so I have come to peace with it. And boy- am I a hoot!!!!

Oh and I posted twice today, so don't miss the one titled- The pictures are back. On the archive menu. And if there are any of you out there who are reading me, go ahead and leave me a comment- click on the comments- and type- no need for an account. Would love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think: