Life as a single Mother-Empty nest, Dating, Ex-husband, Best Friends, Full-time Employment, Unemployment, night school...How do these all relate to one another? Come with me:

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Better late than never- Chili Rellenos

Monday night I made a recipe I have never attempted before- and well, It shows. But, They were delicious!

I learned a LOT about what not to do:

I only bought 3 Anaheim's as this was my first attempt and well, there are only three of us...
I found the prettiest and most robust looking chilies that were available in the market I was at. (which really was not a market at all, but a superstore- OH! The shame)
Placed them into a glass baking dish, and roasted (for the first time ever) chilies.


When the chilies began to make hissing sounds and smelling heavenly, i turned them over to roast the other side.


Lesson learned number 1: Roast chilies a little past the point of hissing. I'm not sure I let mine go long enough.


Wrapped them each in a damp paper towel, to steam, while I concocted the egg mixture.


I separated 6 eggs into two separate bowls.


Then whipped the whites to a froth with peaks. And beat the yolks with a tablespoon of flour and a pinch of salt.

Then I peeled the chilies. This is the part I had the worst time with. I am not sure if it was because I didn't roast them long enough, or if my chilies were not beefy enough. But as I was removing the skins and scraping out the membranes, and seeds, I had a really hard time not breaking through, and every recipe I have found, insists that all your seams are completely closed. They had one simple sliced seam, which I did too, until I tried scraping out the durn seeds. My poor chilies looked like they'd had a visit from the Texas chainsaw chili massacre. So I'm not including a picture.
I decided to fill mine with a mixture of mozzarella, sharp cheddar (I only had pre-shredded), and some chopped green onions I had to get used up. (Lesson learned number 2: hind sight- I think they needed a little more heat- some jalapenos or something, and tomatoes are always good). Filling them, however, was a little but clumsy at best--- but I managed to get the filling inside the chilies. Although the recipes insist that you have no open seams, and I found one later that suggested sealing with toothpicks, I had filling spilling out all over... But I trudged on.
I poured the yellow into the whites, looks so pretty. Stir together.

Then carefully, while holding the chillies together, I rolled the stuffed chilies in, and sprinkled them, with seasoned flour. Then quickly dipped them in the creamy egg mixture. (I was too messy to take photo's)

Lesson learned number 3: This step might have been easier had I not cut my slit all the way down to the bottom of the chili, or if the egg mixture was in a shallow bowl. It was hard to hold the chili shut and dip into a small bowl. But I managed although I was covered in egg, and my chilies (with way too much egg) were quite fat.

But once you doll them up with a little sour cream, some of the green onion and cheese mixture, some Salsa, some fresh garden tomato's and a side of re fried beans with the same cheese on top - lots of protein. and yum!
Rachel was dying for one, but, by the time I got them ready, she had a horde (pack? pride?) of teens at my front door ready for night games again. The teen boys who seem to have bottomless stomach's were commenting on the delicious smell. I felt horrible that I had decided to only make three. I even heard one exclaim as Rachel told them she would go and just eat when she got home, " Really? Cause it smells so good!" Maybe next time boys~


1 comment:

  1. Yum, yum, yum! I've been too afraid to try this but maybe I'll give it a shot. One thing I recommend for roasting chilies is a plastic bag. When the chilies are good and roasted on both sides, toss them in a plastic bag and let them sit for 15 minutes. The last time I did this I let them go under the broiler longer than I normally do and the peels slipped right off.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think: